Dove Cottage is a semi-detached Victorian cottage built of pebble-dashed random limestone walls with a tile roof. It is located above the River Dove in the small hamlet of Lode Mill.
- · We have an extensive website showing the exterior of the cottage as well as photographs of the interior.
- · Booking/enquiries can be made directly from the website via email or telephone. The cottage is also registered with Dales Holiday Cottages who assist with lettings.
- · Guests are provided with directions to the cottage either from the website or from our brochures.
- · The nearest bus stop is in Alstonefield village approximately ¾ of a mile up the road from Lode Mill.
- · There are no local railway stations. The nearest mainline station is Derby approximately 20 miles away.
- · The cottage is looked after by the river bailiff and his wife who live next door.
- · This access statement is available on our website and in the welcome file in the cottage.
Arrival and car parking facilities
- · Dove cottage is located off the minor road leading from the A515 to Alstonefield. There is sufficient parking for two vehicles and this is off road. There is a gravelled driveway leading to a parking area at the bottom of the drive.
- · It should be noted that the cottage is located in the bottom of a Derbyshire Dale and as a result, there are changes in level inside the cottage and in its immediate environs.
Main entrance and reception
- · The main entrance is the front door of the cottage leading directly from the drive. The key to this door is issued to our guests by the river bailiff and his wife.
- · The front door is 85cm x 200cm with the hinge on the left. The keyhole is 93cm high and the yale lock is 112cm high. The step leading from the driveway are as follows:
- · The front door opens into the hall area there is a light switch on the right hand side of the door which covers the halogen exterior light over the front door and the internal hall light.
- · The hall is carpeted and there is a shoe wiping mat just inside the front door.
- · On the right of the hall is a small table which has the “Welcome Pack”, local attraction leaflet box and Visitors Book on it.
Public Areas – General (internal) not available public areas – WC available
- · The downstairs hallway leads directly into the sitting room and the door is 80cm high x 200cm wide with the hinge on the left.
- · The sitting room is carpeted with a rug in front of the open fireplace.
- · There is a large three-seater sofa, two armchairs and a high backed Ottoman type sofa.
- · There is a desk with a chair and a number of side tables.
- · The room is lit by an overhead pendant style light, a standard lamp and a number of side lights.
- · On one of the side tables there is a television/video player with a remote control.
- · There is an open fireplace with tile grate and wooden surround.
- · To the front of the house, a pair of French windows open onto steps leading to the driveway.
- · The entrance hallway also leads through to the dining room.
- · The door is 78cm wide by 212cm high and hinged on the left.
- · The dining room is carpeted.
- · There is a round dining table, large sideboard and cupboards containing glasses and some crockery.
- · There is a CD player, tape cassette machine and radio.
- · There is an open fireplace which has been blocked up and is not in use.
- · There is a BT telephone for guests’ use. A nominal charge is made for the use of the phone based on calls by guests during the duration of their stay.
- · A step leads up to a small hallway and the step is 16cm high by 80cm wide.
- · The door to the small hallway is 200cm high by 80cm wide and hinges on the left.
- · The small hallway is carpeted and leads to the kitchen.
- · Not applicable.
- · Not applicable.
- · Fly-fishing for brown trout for two rods is available on 2 ¾ miles of single and double bank of the River Dove for cottage guests during the season which runs from 1st April to the end of the first week in October.
- · The fishing flies and nylon is available for purchase from the river bailiff but guests are asked to bring suitable equipment for fishing the river.
- · Exiting from the back door from the kitchen, there is a gravel area to the rear of the cottage and a sloped grass lawn to the side.
- · The door from the kitchen to the rear is 80cm wide by 200cm high with the yale keyhole at 112cm.
- · The step from the kitchen is 12cm high by 80cm wide and 76cm deep.
- · The rear area of the cottage is gravelled and therefore an uneven surface.
- · Patio furniture is available for guests to use as are two traditionally built wooden benches.
- · The rear gravelled area leads to a locked coal shed.
- · The sloped lawn area is bordered on one side by a dry stone wall and at the bottom by a small picket fence with a small side gate for access. The gate is 96cm wide by 93cm tall and is hinged on the left.
- · There is a gravelled path running alongside the cottage, which leads to the rear area.
- · On the other side of the drive to the front of the cottage there is a substantial terraced garden area for cottage guests to use.
- · Furthermore there is a sloping lawn which leads to the public footpath running alongside the River Dove.
- · As previously mentioned fishing for Brown trout for two rods is available on a 2 ¾ mile stretch of the river Dove and the pool directly in front of the cottage is reserved solely for the benefit of cottage guests. The remaining stretch of the river is shared with the 59 Fly-Fishing Club.
Conference and meeting rooms, banqueting and entertainment.
- · Not applicable.
Upstairs bedrooms – First Floor landing
- · Stairs lead from the front hall to the first floor landing.
- · The stairs are carpeted as is the landing and there is a handrail to the right of the stairs.
- · The first floor landing has a lyre back chair and side table with side light.
- · The door from the landing leads to this bedroom and is 78cm wide by 195cm high hinged on the left.
- · Bedroom one is carpeted with a rug at the end of the beds.
- · There are two antique single beds 3 feet 6 inches wide with 3 feet 9 inch mattresses.
- · All bedding is cotton with feather pillows and duvets.
- · The space between the beds is 56cm.
- · The bedroom has a light switch by the door and there are two separate side lights by each side of the bed.
- · A door from the landing leads to bedroom two and is 79cm wide by 195cm high and hinged on the left.
- · The bedroom is carpeted with a rug at the end of the beds.
- · There are two cottage style antique beds 3 feet 0 inches wide with 3 feet 6 inch mattresses.
- · All bedding is cotton with feather pillows and duvets.
- · The distance between the beds is 40cm.
- · The main room has a light switch at the door and two side lamps by the side of each bed.
- · The door leads from the first floor landing and is 80cm wide by 200cm high and hinged on the right.
- · The bedroom is carpeted with one rug by the bed.
- · There is a single cottage style antique bed with a 3 feet 6 inch mattress.
- · All bedding is cotton with feather pillows and duvet.
- · A light switch is by the door with one reading lamp by the side of the bed.
- · Additional pillows, blankets and spare sheets are kept in a large wardrobe/linen press in bedroom one.
- · The door from the small hallway is 80cm wide by 200cm high and hinges on the right.
- · The kitchen has a stone tiled floor with a large recessed welcome mat at the back door.
- · The kitchen units are of soft wood construction and hand made to fit the kitchen.
- · The worktops are granite.
- · There are two Belfast type sinks with a single drainer to the right.
- · There is an electrically operated Everhot cooker, large Hotpoint fridge/freezer and Ariston dishwasher underneath the drainer to the right of the sinks.
- · The fridge is a tall unit half fridge and half freezer with the fridge element being at the top. The highest shelf in the fridge is 140cm.
- · The kitchen is lit by two separate sets of spotlights independently switched.
- · A microwave is also available.
- · Catering standard crockery is provided in the cupboards below the work surfaces as are cups and glasses, pots pans, baking trays etc.
- · The oil fired boiler is also located in the kitchen within a built in cupboard and the top two thirds of this comprise the drying cupboard for wet clothes etc.
- · There is a step from the kitchen to the back door which is 80cm wide by 200cm high and hinged on the left. This leads to the rear garden of the cottage.
- · From the small hallway adjacent to the dining room there is a further door leading to the laundry.
- · The door is 200cm high by 78cm wide and hinged on the right.
- · Within the laundry are a Beko front loading washing machine and a Hot point front loading tumble dryer. The washing machine is 60cm wide and 84cm high. The tumble dryer is 60cm wide by 84cm high.
- · There is a substantial work surface over the washing machine and tumble dryer.
- · The laundry floor has a vinyl covering.
- · The laundry leads on to the downstairs bathroom through a door which is 74cm wide by 198cm high and hinged on the right.
- · The bathroom floor has a vinyl covering.
- · The bathroom contains a large cast iron bath with mixer taps and shower attached, ceramic basin and WC with traditional cast iron cistern.
- · A Welcome Pack is available in the cottage along with a separate folder with all instruction leaflets for electrical and other equipment.
- · With in the Welcome Pack, details are given of local hospitals, doctors, shopping facilities etc.
- · A separate box is kept on the table on the front hall containing leaflets for places of interest, restaurants, pubs and other local attractions. This is updated on a regular basis.
- · Pets are welcome – please inform us on booking.
- · The premises are non-smoking.
- · Address Mr Rupert Hignett, 112 High Street, Burford, Oxfordshire, Ox18 4QJ.
- · Telephone Number 01993 825900 (Day). 01285 850779 (Evenings). 07974643998 (Mobile).
- · Email email@example.com
- · Website www.dovecottages.co.uk
- · Hours of operation – Open all year.
- · Emergency number any of the above.
- · None at present although we are considering replacing one set of twin beds with a double bed.